Linked Events

• run: Apache Junction: November 24, 2021 - November 27, 2021

Author Topic: Apache Junction, Arizona, November 24-28 2021  (Read 847 times)

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
Apache Junction, Arizona, November 24-28 2021
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Apache Junction, Arizona
November 24-28, 2021
Run Type: Camping (KOA)
Run Leaders: Barry & Rebecca
Difficulty Rating: 2 - 3

Rebecca and I are leading a group of friends to Apache Junction, Arizona over the Thanksgiving holiday and we have 3 spaces available if anyone would like to join us (this is not an official club run). We are staying at the KOA in Mesa/Apache Junction. We are arriving November 24 and checking out on the 28th. (Wednesday-Sunday). We will have runs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday on trails TBD. Since KOA is booking up fast, we thought we’d put it out there if anyone would like to join us.

Before you make reservations, please check with me to make sure it isn’t already full and I will send you the reservation info.

Barry Blackwood
619 884-0298
barry@crestoffsetprinting.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:26:11 AM by Administrator »
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
Re: Apache Junction, Arizona, November 24-28 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
Sorry, but last 3 spots are now full.

Barry
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
Re: Apache Junction, Run Report
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
Apache Junction Run Report

We had 8 Jeeps join in Apache Junction over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Wednesday evening we had our meet & greet, to discuss the runs over the next 3 days, complete with appetizers.

Thursday, we ran  Pucker Ridge 2.5 
We started out with 8 Jeeps but only 5 finished the run. 8 miles into the trail as we were climbing up one of the obstacles, Mike (AKA Rusty) broke a u-joint at the rear flange and sheared the bolts on a little rock ledge blocking the trail. I removed the driveshaft hoping he could continue the run and pulled him up the ledge so that the others could pass. Once he was up the ledge, we started to continue the run and Rusty broke his front passenger axle shaft at which point he was done for the day. I asked Steve if he could lead the group and finish the run as I stayed behind with Scott W. and I removed the axle shaft to get him back to the trail head. After removing the shaft, I then towed him 8 miles up and down the hills to the staging area, meeting the rest of the group as they were airing up. We called AAA for a tow and waited with him almost 4 hours before they arrived and towed him back to camp. Everyone who finished the run said the rest of the trail was fun with some great views..

Friday we ran Saguaro Lake The Rolls 3.0
This trail makes its way along Saguaro Lake coming down to the lake edge multiple times and has some great little obstacles and beautiful scenery. We couldn’t ask for a nicer place to stop for lunch at the lake under some trees. This trail offered some fun challenges with multiple v-notches and ledges. After coming down one of the down hill obstacles, Scott said he had a loud bump sound which turned out to be a torn side wall on his rear passenger tire that dented the rim. Gary D., Scott, Frank and I had it changed in under 10 minutes and we were back on the trail. As we got to the end of the trail and could see the pavement, there was a big gate  that was locked and we couldn’t get through so we spent another hour finding a way around and out to the road.

Saturday we ran Walnut Canyon.
This is another beautiful run with fun little obstacles and some of the nicest scenery you could ask for. As we were making our way through the canyon, we ran across a pack of 11 javelinas and a group of cows in the road and watched them as they made their way up the hillside. The trail takes you down to the Gila River where we made our first river crossing and stopped for lunch along the river. After lunch, we continued along the trail going under the first train trestle before another river crossing and another bigger trestle continuing the loop back to the staging area.

The Apache Junction area offers mile of trails and someday we’ll have to go back and explore some of the other trails the area has to offer.

If you took any photos, please upload them to the JustRuns photo gallery.
https://g2.justruns.com/gallery2/v/Run+Photos/211124_apache_junction/

Here are a couple of videos Mary D. made of our runs.
https://youtu.be/2yLabF2f608
https://youtu.be/055-NEDfa4Q
https://youtu.be/8P2SLgvICu8

Rebecca and I would like to thank everyone who came out and joined us for this run.
We hope Rusty and Joanne get there Jeep fixed and join us back out on the trails again as they are a great new addition to the club.
We look forward to joining you on one of your JustRuns trail runs in the future.

Barry & Rebecca

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:05:51 PM by Administrator »
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU