Linked Events

• run: Tucson: October 21, 2021 - October 24, 2021

Author Topic: Tucson, Arizona, Rug Road & Chiva Falls - October 21-24, 2021  (Read 1284 times)

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
Tucson, Arizona, Rug Road & Chiva Falls - October 21-24, 2021
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »
Tucson, Arizona, October 21-24
Type of Run: Glamping RV/Trailer, sorry they don’t allow tent camping but they do have nice cabins.
Run Leader: Barry & Rebecca Blackwood
Rated 2+ - 3
No full size vehicles.
Must have all required JustRuns equipment.
Trail Communications via Ham 146.550

Rebecca and I will be heading back to Tucson, Arizona to run Rug Road and Chiva Falls Trail.
Both these trails offer 2+ to 3 rated obstacles with a couple of higher rated ones.

We will be staying again at the Tucson, KOA - Lazydays Resort.
Here is the link for their website:  https://koa.com/campgrounds/tucson-lazydays/
Phone number: (520) 799-3701
Reservations can only be made on the website 6 months prior so it’s best to call.

The last 2 years we have had a themed night potluck dinner on Saturday evening after the run, but I think we’ll skip it this year unless someone wants to come up with a theme and organize it.

Arriving Thursday, October 21.
Meet & greet cocktail hour: 6:00

Friday’s Run: Rug Road - Rated Difficult
Meet at entrance of KOA at 8:15
Rug Road is a 4x4 trail that begins in Mammoth, traverses the famous “Carpet Hill” then climbs to Table Mountain Pass in the Zapata Mountains.  It then drops down into the Aravaipa watershed, passes through Klondyke and then either east to Fort Thomas on US 70 or south to Willcox on I-10.  Carpet Hill, wild horses, a cliff dwelling and great scenery. Legend has it the road was first built to service the Salazar Ranch. Old man Salazar was driving back and forth to Mammoth regularly in his 2WD pickup in the early 1950’s and got nervous about the way the road was eroding. So he went down to Tucson and gathered a truckload of old carpet remnants. On his way back home he stuffed those remnants into rough spots along the road to smooth out the road, give him better traction and slow down the damage from erosion. That part of the road is now known as “Carpet Hill,” and it’s a nasty, loose-rock, deeply rutted, steep slope that rises 650 feet in about 3/4 of a mile

Saturday’s Run: Chiva Falls Rated Difficult.
Meet at the entrance of KOA at 8:15
Description: This great hard-core trail features Chiva Falls. During wet periods, water flows over a high rock ledge and drops dramatically to a pool below. This cool, shaded halfway point on the route is a popular place to stop for lunch. Narrow, rocky trail that drops into Tanque Verde Canyon then follows the canyon creek bottom. Usually, the creek is relatively dry, but during rainy periods deep crossings are possible. One obstacle called “Three Feathers” has various routes from which to choose, some more difficult than others. The last 0.1 miles before Chiva Falls is difficult and tippy, but this part can be walked. Generally, this trail is driven by modified vehicles, but aggressive stock vehicles can probably get through with some help. There are no monster obstacles, but you can find tough stuff if that’s what you want. Lockers, high ground clearance and skid plates recommended.

Leave for home: Sunday, October 24.

Limited to 12 vehicles

RSVP is required with your full name, cell #, email and campsite #
RSVP to: barry@crestoffsetprinting.com

Do not RSVP by text.
No group signups.

Thank you,

Barry Blackwood
619 884-0298
barry@crestoffsetprinting.com
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:33:24 AM by Administrator »
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
Re: Tucson, Arizona, Rug Road & Chiva Falls - October 21-24, 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:30:15 PM »
This run is now full and I have started a waiting list.
Thank you
Barry
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »
Tucson Run
Howdy there all you cowpokes who are signed up for this year’s run. I know it's pert near 8 months till the trail ride, but the stage has been set for the theme for this year. Wild Bob Krause and his traveling medicine wagon have moseyed into town and will be putting together a hoedown-themed potluck dinner, complete with line dancing
(if anyone is willing to teach us). So break out your best western attire, and polish those spurs, as we circle the wagons for this year’s run. Whether you’re coming as a Wrangler or a Cherokee, keep an eye out for a telegraph from Wild Bob in the upcoming months for the grub signup.

Sorry cow folks, this here run is plum full!

Much obliged partner,

Barry & Rebecca
barry@crestoffsetprinting.com
619-884-0298

See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU

Barry Blackwood

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Tucson Run Report

We had 11 Jeeps join us for the Tucson run.

Thursday evening I was a little late to the happy hour as Bob’s camper broke down about 10 miles from camp and I went to see if I could help. Turns out that his starter went out and after 4 1/2 hours we were able to get a tow truck willing to carry his truck with his camper to a local repair facility. Rebecca was able to secure a cabin for Bob at the KOA and everything worked out as the shop had his truck repaired Friday afternoon. I want to thank Rebecca for holding down the fort and hosting happy hour while I was out playing.

Friday Rug Road
We left camp early to drive the 55 + miles to the trailhead of  Rug Road located in Mammoth, Arizona. In the last 3 years of putting on the Tucson run, I had always wanted to do this trail and this being our last year to run Tucson for a while, we decided it was a must. The trail consists of steep rutted hills with loose rocks filled in years ago with carpet remnants. In the early 50’s,  Mr. Salazar, a local rancher got nervous about the way the road was eroding, so he went down to Tucson and gathered a truckload of old carpet remnants and stuffed them into rough spots along the road to give himself better traction. This part of the trail is known as Carpet Hill. Today, it’s described as a nasty, loose-rock, deeply rutted, steep slope that rises 650 feet in 3/4 of a mile. This was one BUMPY trail. The trail is normally run as a 2 day bobtail run from Mammoth to Klondyke, but we only went as far as Parson’s Cabin before taking the Carpet Hill Bypass Road “ Cowboy Miller Road” out to the main road.
Unfortunately, Scott started having transmission problems into the run and his Jeep went into limp mode, but he  was able to make it through the trail and get towed back to camp.

Saturday we ran Chiva Falls Trail.
This trail is also rated difficult but everyone did a great job with a little spotting. The first obstacle is Three Feathers. There are 3 ways down this hill, hence the name Three Feathers. Each route offering it’s own unique set of challenges. After everyone made their way down the hill, we continued along the trail while enjoying the beautiful scenery the area has to offer. Working our way down the trail, we made our way over to Chiva Falls where we had lunch . When we arrived at the falls, a SXS that had passed earlier with 4 adults in it had rolled  and a group of other Jeeper’s eating lunch at the falls ran up to right the SXS. Luckly, no one was hurt but the SXS had some damage. After lunch, we backtracked a ways before turning on Reddington trail to create a loop which took us out to the main highway and back to camp. As we were heading out to the road, Mark started having trouble with his transmission and it went into limp mode, but after shutting it down for a while as he was airing up he said it seemed to be running fine.

Saturday evening, after the run, we had our Cowboy themed potluck dinner, organized and hosted by Marshal Bob K. who dressed and played the part of the Arizona Terratorial Marshal. Everyone wore their favorite western attire and enjoyed a great BBQ potluck dinner complete with western music.

If you took any photos, please upload them to the JustRuns photo gallery.

Rebecca and I would like to thank everyone who joined us for this run.

We look forward to joining you on one of your JustRuns trail runs in the future.

[The pictures gallery is at https://g2.justruns.com/gallery2/v/Run+Photos/211021_tucson/
There are five pictures there now. I expect there will be more soon.  -Admin]

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:02:31 PM by Administrator »
See you on the trail!

Barry Blackwood
2014, Dune JKU